Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp    RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Board
 *O.B.C* - Forum : The *O.B.C* Forums : General Board
Message Icon Topic: Ice Man's 2nd floor Remodel - Help Please! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Conan
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Conan Replybullet Posted: September 03 2014 at 8:24pm
You're talking about the cable end, That can be secured with some strong backing tied into with your new lower rafters. You will have some flecks but that's what sheer walling will fix IMO.

But even now as it is their nothing hold that wall together except the old lath and plaster. ;)
"The leftists cannot think for themselves...they have already given into the spirit of collectivism"
IP IP Logged
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Ice Man Replybullet Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:24pm

X
            X   O     O
      X      O           O
X          O               O

Just wanted to see if I could do a diagram without using any fancy technology.

When they added the addition (on the left) they used 2x6s for roof rafters (shown as 'X') and just nailed in to the peak of my roof rafters. When I bought the place the upside was that the roof was shingled only 2 years prior (or was it 5 years). Anyway, nobody said anything about ice dams forming and water penetrating the roof on the left side. We found that out the hard way. We had a metal roof put on and that solved the problem. If I had more money at the time I would have had an entire new roof put on.

Anyway, if I decide to not vault the ceilings and just leave everything the way it is, what would you recommend I do to help stiffen the existing roof rafters on my side?

I fear this could turn into a money pit, so I need to keep an open mind about things.

Edited by Ice Man - September 08 2014 at 3:26pm
IP IP Logged
Conan
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Conan Replybullet Posted: September 09 2014 at 4:52pm
Now you're talking. You weren't ever going to get any return on your investment.....your area is way to depressed. Sadly you're also sitting on billions of cubic feet of natural gas aren't you?

But anyway spread the load out using couple of strong backing and plywood to prevent any flexing.

Keep it simple.  Wink
"The leftists cannot think for themselves...they have already given into the spirit of collectivism"
IP IP Logged
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Ice Man Replybullet Posted: September 09 2014 at 5:57pm
Considering what I paid for the place, the $/sq.ft is great, but like you said, the area is not.

I just figured if I was going to gut the second floor I would take the time to consider other improvements and try to increase value where I could. But with the economy and now some uncertainty with my job, I may need to change gears a bit.

IP IP Logged
Conan
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Conan Replybullet Posted: September 10 2014 at 11:23am
Not good when you uncertain about your job and you have your house opened up like a can or worms.  LOL
IP IP Logged
X O.B.C Member
*Forum Stalker*
*Forum Stalker*
Communist Pinko

Quote X O.B.C Member Replybullet Posted: September 10 2014 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Conan

Not good when you uncertain about your job and you have your house opened up like a can or worms.  LOL

Its good to be U N I O N.No worries.

Edited by X O.B.C Member - September 10 2014 at 4:37pm
The microphone explodes, shattering the molds Either drop tha hits like de la O or get tha f**k off tha commode Wit tha sure shot, sure ta make tha bodies drop

Bulls on parade!

IP IP Logged
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Ice Man Replybullet Posted: September 10 2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by X O.B.C Member

Yes, because I just LOVE what the unions have done for our area. GM - Gone. Reynolds Metals - Gone. Alcoa - shut down one plant, minimized workforce in another, would rather offer overtime because with all of the Union forced perks it's way too expensive to hire new people.

Edit: And in the news regarding union workers at Corning in Upstate NY: Corning officials tell 7 News reporter John Friot the company is seeking workers to take temporary furloughs from September 28 through January 5, 2015.

That's an unpaid leave, by the way.

Edited by Ice Man - September 10 2014 at 7:59pm
IP IP Logged
Conan
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Conan Replybullet Posted: September 11 2014 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by X O.B.C Member

Originally posted by Conan

It's better to walk out to my shop with cup of coffee to work while listening to radical right-wing talk radio or classic rock.
IP IP Logged
Connor
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Connor Replybullet Posted: October 15 2014 at 11:31am
Hows things going with the project?
IP IP Logged
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Ice Man Replybullet Posted: October 15 2014 at 12:40pm
Moving slowly. Hopefully picking up insulation this week to have installed. Changed gears and have been working on the wall that separates the kitchen from the dining room.

Upstairs the floor sinks about 3/4" inch over 8 feet or so starting from the wall, very noticeable. So I am hoping to reduce that some by replacing this wall and changing the layout to accommodate the fridge. Also correcting some electrical issues as well. One dining room outlet is on the same circuit as the boiler, another outlet is on a lighting circuit and the fridge is currently sharing an outlet with the microwave and dishwasher. Fridge is getting it's own circuit and the two dining outlets will be added to the kitchen circuit as per code.

Going to keep the opening in the wall, it's just going to shift to the right some. Instead of a small counter it's going to be a breakfast bar for the dining room. The kitchen side of that wall will feature new base cabinets and counter top (two things that I am short on). Recessed lights to light up the breakfast bar, and recessed lighting throughout the kitchen to replace the single fixture in the middle of the kitchen.

The opening going into the kitchen will change as I am going to build the wall out about 18 inches on the right. This will create a space for a built-in pantry where the microwave is currently sitting.

IP IP Logged
Sith
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Sith Replybullet Posted: October 16 2014 at 1:43pm
I approve of your wine larder, is that a bottle of Jim Beam I see there?

Edited by Sith - October 16 2014 at 1:43pm

Only Now, At The End Do You Understand.
IP IP Logged
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Ice Man Replybullet Posted: October 16 2014 at 3:04pm
Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey. But there is a bottle of Jim Beam right behind it.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version