Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp    RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Board
 *O.B.C* - Forum : The *O.B.C* Forums : General Board
Message Icon Topic: Ice Man's 2nd floor Remodel - Help Please! Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 8 Next >>
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Ice Man Replybullet Topic: Ice Man's 2nd floor Remodel - Help Please!
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 5:10pm
I'm almost finished gutting the 2nd floor, all but the bathroom will be completely gutted. The bathroom will be changed at a later date. I need to change the layout but I'm not sure which way to go.

Built in 1912, converted later for updated bathroom, and hydronic heating.

The original layout ( Original Floorplan) had a room in the middle which you needed to travel trough to get to one of the front bedrooms. As it seems unnecessary to have 4 rooms upstairs, and a tiny master bedroom, I decided it would be best to either create a master suite, or at least enlarge all of the rooms. Also, I want to change the location of the bathroom door and toilet, adding a double sink.

Example of what I was thinking: Example Layout

Adding a walk-in closet and increasing the bedroom by 12 inches: Walk-in closet

The door for the closet could be shifted to allow for a vanity in that little area, or perhaps adjust the size of the closet to allow for a small loveseat and table.

So, I have a tendency to lock myself into 1 design so I thought it'd be fun to share my project with everyone and see if the more experienced people here on the forum would have a better way to utilize the space that I have. Here is a blank layout if anyone wants to print it out to write on. Blank Layout

edited to add the video walk-through:
Video walk through: Click here for the video
Long video, lots of "umms" and "uhhs", I apologize in advance. Give it time to load as it's in 720p.

Edited by Ice Man - June 03 2014 at 6:32pm
IP IP Logged
Gadget
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Gadget Replybullet Posted: May 29 2014 at 10:05pm
I think I would look at it in terms of value. Around the NW, a bedroom is worth about 8000-12000 depending on the neighborhood, while a walk in closet in the master bed is worth about 3000.

Interested in taking any pictures for a better idea?

Edited by Gadget - May 29 2014 at 10:05pm
IP IP Logged
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Ice Man Replybullet Posted: May 30 2014 at 1:09pm
I'll put together a video walk-through. I do know that attempting 4 bedrooms upstairs would be bad, there's just not enough space. But there is a bonus room off the kitchen, might have been a porch at one time, I don't know, but it's big enough for a bedroom. It's actually where my bedroom is now while I remodel. You do have to go through this room to go out the back door, so technically I can't call it a bedroom, but it works for me.
IP IP Logged
Conan
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Conan Replybullet Posted: May 30 2014 at 11:56pm
Houses with multiple bedrooms are going out of style as American families are getting smaller.

I don't know how many bathrooms you have but IMO if you can squeeze out extra bathroom upstairs for those two bedrooms you will actual add value to your house.

Now I don't know which way your floor joists are or whether or not you can gain the extra drop for your waste but I would seriously look into that.

Also you don't need a bathtub in the masters, a walk in shower. The extra bathroom should have a tub since to resale those rooms would be the kids room and kids bath.
"The leftists cannot think for themselves...they have already given into the spirit of collectivism"
IP IP Logged
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Ice Man Replybullet Posted: May 31 2014 at 6:01pm
Main beam runs front of house to back, floor joists run from the sides (left to right as seen in the drawing. The main waste is located to the side of the toilet (6 feet from bottom corner, 1 square = 1 foot). I can run an additional waste line somewhere in the middle of the floor plan if needed, straight to the basement. But I think I could use the space adjacent to the wall of the existing bathroom for the master bath. I'd have to check code, but it would put me about 8 feet from the existing waste, if that's not too far.

Edited by Ice Man - May 31 2014 at 6:02pm
IP IP Logged
Conan
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Conan Replybullet Posted: May 31 2014 at 10:40pm
You could do that, remove the adjoining close, run your drop parallel with joints to other toilet on other side of the one your draw up, a shower between the toilet and exterior wall.

Of course you still need a vanity placement but that should be easy to do. The bed can be placed between the two windows on the left. It would be tight but you can make that work. It would be the easiest and cheapest rout to go. Need to give it some more thought.

Edited by Conan - May 31 2014 at 10:40pm
"The leftists cannot think for themselves...they have already given into the spirit of collectivism"
IP IP Logged
Conan
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Conan Replybullet Posted: May 31 2014 at 10:43pm
Figure in 1/4 drop per foot, you might be able to go less on short runs if you're using 4 inch pipe.
IP IP Logged
X O.B.C Member
*Forum Stalker*
*Forum Stalker*
Communist Pinko

Quote X O.B.C Member Replybullet Posted: June 01 2014 at 6:39pm
I would not trust the guy who posted above me.

He had his license pulled in my state for shotty work
The microphone explodes, shattering the molds Either drop tha hits like de la O or get tha f**k off tha commode Wit tha sure shot, sure ta make tha bodies drop

Bulls on parade!

IP IP Logged
Connor
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Connor Replybullet Posted: June 03 2014 at 2:21pm
Hey Enrich,

If you gave Conan a drawing of lower floor to see where closets, current main stack for plumbing and kitchen are now, it would be beneficial.
IMO.3- bdrm 2 bathrms upstairs
IP IP Logged
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Ice Man Replybullet Posted: June 03 2014 at 2:51pm
Thanks Connor. I've been giving that some thought and I agree that a master bath is going to be the way to go. I just uploaded a video walk-through of the upstairs that include location of the stack and some other challenges I'm facing.

An additional waste and water line run could be located 15 - 16 feet down from the top of the drawings, and 12 feet from the left. (see my first post for the drawings)

Video walk through: Click here for the video
Long video, lots of "umms" and "uhhs", I apologize in advance. Give it time to load as it's in 720p.

Edited by Ice Man - June 03 2014 at 2:52pm
IP IP Logged
X O.B.C Member
*Forum Stalker*
*Forum Stalker*
Communist Pinko

Quote X O.B.C Member Replybullet Posted: June 03 2014 at 6:02pm
After watching that vid.Pray for a natural disaster or.....
The microphone explodes, shattering the molds Either drop tha hits like de la O or get tha f**k off tha commode Wit tha sure shot, sure ta make tha bodies drop

Bulls on parade!

IP IP Logged
Conan
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Conan Replybullet Posted: June 03 2014 at 8:38pm
Your walk in closet on your sample drawings what is beneath it? Can you get to basement from there? at the end of the hall?

That would be another idea location for kids bath, and convert existing bath into a masters. And then you have the ability to use the wall on your right when you walk into masters as a large closet. It won't be a walking in thou.

Other option is make the master bath and bedroom in top two bedrooms and that eliminates the hallway and lost sq footage.  Wink

Just need to know where you can make your drop.

Edited by Conan - June 03 2014 at 8:40pm
IP IP Logged
Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version