Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp    RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Soldier of Fortune 2
 *O.B.C* - Forum : Gaming and Technology : Soldier of Fortune 2
Message Icon Topic: Problem with Lag on certain maps - Solution? Post Reply Post New Topic
Ice Man
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Ice Man Replybullet Topic: Problem with Lag on certain maps - Solution?
    Posted: March 12 2009 at 3:33pm
I've been trying to solve the problem of certain maps becoming so laggy.  I haven't come up with anything definitive yet.  Disable grenades? Limit the number of players? There are a few theories I'd like to discuss though and see what we can do about it.

#1.  Players using tweaked settings may impact performance of the server.

I've noticed an increase of players using the console to make changes that the GUI doesn't allow for.  Namely, maxFPS.  It's been proven that increasing your maxFPS allows for weird situations to occur.  But looking at it from the server-side, when you set your maxFPS to some ridiculous number the server is working extremely hard to maintain the flow of data to fulfill that request.  And when you have a significant number of players drawing that much data the server has a difficult time calculating explosion particles and bullets and then everyone feels the lag.  The human eye can recognize frame rates below 65Hz or 65FPS.  Personally I have mine set to 85FPS and my monitors refreash rate is set to 85Hz (I still use a CRT).

Perhaps we could run an experiment to see if this would make a difference or not, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that it would definitely help the server if every set their FPS to 75 or 85.  And for those who use the console to set their FPS to numbers higher than what is available in the GUI, and you know who you are, please at least use a setting available in the GUI.

#2.  The OBC Mod might be conflicting with the RPM Mod.

Some of the problems with certain maps, Col1 for example, have been going on long before the switch to RPM Mod.  However, the increase in headshots/one shot kills, unpredictability of shotgun accuracy and strength manifested with the implimentation of RPM.  We're going to look into any possible conflicts with weapon configurations and other settings and also try to clear up previous anomolies such as the multiple death sound when you shot someone.

#3.  Server settings leading to game conflicts.

For now this is just a shot in the dark.  Perhaps there may be a way to reduce the data demand on the server which would in turn keep the frame rates high thus eliminating lag, or moments of laggishness.  We've been at this for over 5 years now so it would seem that we'd have the best settings, but it's always worth a look.

IP IP Logged
Intrinsically
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Intrinsically Replybullet Posted: March 12 2009 at 6:20pm
personally, I would rather go back to the admin mod, and if there is a conflict with the rpm mod, problem solved...of course, that means  that the ability to crash the server will also be in play

all I know is this...pre rpm mod, server was populated almost all day long....right now, it really earns it's name during the day, it's a wasteland, friggin dead till @ 3:00 east coast time...that kinda sucks for those of us that played in the morning & I honestly don't know if it would return to it's previous state, even if we were to change back to the admin mod

sooooo, when are we gonna start a battlefield 2 server? LOL
IP IP Logged
Cresil
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member
(Formally C1H®)

Quote Cresil Replybullet Posted: March 12 2009 at 8:33pm
Eeeew ones again, what about the Rpm 3.32 ? Was it tested already?
BTW XYZ is releasing new mod, it says that will be available a server side soon, maybe there is a light in the tunel, was reading somewhere that it will have less bugs then RPMpro 7.01 which is the worst made till now maybe.
IP IP Logged
Sith
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Sith Replybullet Posted: March 12 2009 at 8:53pm
I get what you are saying Steve about the server being emptier,
but I must admit it is a relief to not have to deal with alot of different players and all the associated admin/babysitting of them.

How about for a trial period we go back to the admin mod, if this solves the lag issues Ice mentioned and we don't have have server crashing we could talk about making it permanent.

Only Now, At The End Do You Understand.
IP IP Logged
C2H®
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote C2H® Replybullet Posted: March 13 2009 at 4:41am
I agree with Sith.Lets try Admin Mod and see what happens...
IP IP Logged
m4sof
*Forum Addict*
*Forum Addict*

Quote m4sof Replybullet Posted: March 13 2009 at 7:58pm
still using adm mod on vp

works good
IP IP Logged
Bounty
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Bounty Replybullet Posted: March 14 2009 at 10:20am
bring back admin mod :) or try different rpm mod like c1 suggested rmp 7 doesnt seem to have a very good write up and is known for bugs

IP IP Logged
RatSalsa
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote RatSalsa Replybullet Posted: March 14 2009 at 10:54am
Yeah sounds good to me.

50 headshots in 30 minutes i ridicules. And the shotty range is insane, kinda funny but still insane.
IP IP Logged
Cresil
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member
(Formally C1H®)

Quote Cresil Replybullet Posted: March 14 2009 at 1:31pm
Im using RPM for years now and had servers with 3.32 , 4.0 and 7.01 on Lowpings and 2k.Admin mod on Lowpings was the best combination that i have seen till now, or 3.32.
IP IP Logged
Bounty
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Bounty Replybullet Posted: March 23 2009 at 4:48am

anything been decided yet???  can we have admin mod back???

or at least try it again for a while i think this is what most players want

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version