Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp    RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Team *O.B.C* Announcements
 *O.B.C* - Forum : Announcements : Team *O.B.C* Announcements
Message Icon Topic: Crazyhorse’s Funeral Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Hagar
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hagar Replybullet Topic: Crazyhorse’s Funeral
    Posted: October 08 2007 at 4:21am

SSgt. Kevin Ray Brown, USA, a.k.a. *O.B.C* Crazyhorse, was laid to rest on October 3rd, 2007 at the New Salem Baptist Church near Vine Grove, Kentucky, overlooking the beautiful rolling hills of farmland.

I arrived at the Funeral Home at 10:30 a.m., and his widow, Lena, immediately came over to me and gave me I hug.  I quietly offered condolences from all of OBC and she smiled, as she knew all about the game and OBC.  “That game! ”  She also apparently knew me perhaps from Kevin since we had shared so many emails.  She introduced me to her children, Charlene and Maria, as well as Kevin’s stepchildren, father, and mother.  She then led me into the room where Kevin’s flag draped casket was resting, with 2 photos of Kevin.  One photo had Kevin in dress blues as a young soldier, about 21 years old according to Lena, and the other in his battle dress uniform in Iraq.  I rested my hand on the casket for a few minutes, then had to excuse myself.  The flag was placed so that the union blue is over the left shoulder of his remains.

Shortly after, 6 soldiers, all fellow Staff Sergeants, walked into the room smartly and carried Kevin outside to the hearse.  I noted that they must have done this many times, as there cadence was absolutely perfect.  I joined the funeral procession as it made its way to the church, about 5 miles away through several rural roads.  I was struck at the number of citizens who came out of their homes and stood quietly with their hands over their hearts.  Even though Kevin did not live there, the community clearly knew that an American soldier was coming home to rest.

On arrival at the beautiful old brick New Salem Baptist Church, I immediately noted a color guard of about 16 US flags, held by fellow veterans, mostly from Vietnam.  It struck me as a perfect tribute and it is something I will volunteer to do when I retire and join a veteran’s service organization.  The pallbearers marched up to the rear of the hearse and gently lifted out Kevin, each sidestepping in perfect unison as they took the weight of the casket and gently carried into the church.  As they marched past the color guard the flags were briefly lowered.

Click here for full-size image

In the church, the service started with what were apparently some favorite spiritual songs of Kevin’s.  The thought crossed my mind that Kevin might have left some instructions to his wife as to his wishes if he did not return from Iraq.  The pastor then read from some letters from fellow soldiers in Kevin’s unit in Iraq, from private up to Captain.  Most of them talked about how Kevin knew a passage from the Bible that he could recite or find to help his fellow soldier through the crisis he was struggling with at the time.  I never realized how much of a part of Kevin’s life was his faith in God.  Some of the letters reflected on how Kevin was a sharp leader and soldier, and how they felt that Kevin helped them through some challenging combat situations.  Next, a Brigadier General  from Fort Know just minutes away presented to Lena the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Iraq Expeditionary Medal, and the Global War on Terror (GWOT) ribbon.  The medals and ribbon were presented to Lena by Sergeant First Class James Smirl, who was a very good friend of Kevin’s.  He is the soldier in the photos in full dress blue uniform.  The General gave a brief talk about what it means about Duty, Honor, and Country to a soldier.  He never mentioned Iraq, which was appropriate.  Kevin was proud to serve, as we all know.  I looked around and noticed about 12 uniformed soldiers amongst the 50 or 60 mourners.

The pallbearers then marched in and lifted Kevin and carried him outside back into the hearse.  The hearse then drove about 125 yards to the burial site.  The pallbearers marched quietly behind the hearse.  Graveside, they picked Kevin up one last time, sidestepping in perfect unison, and carried him over and placed him over the grave in the cradle.  I discreetly placed myself off to the right side.  In front of me, about 40 yards away, was a single soldier holding a M-16 in the present arms position, with the squad leader to his right.  In front were 6 more M-16’s, stacked neatly.

Lena, the children, and Kevin’s parents took their places under the canopy.

Lena is seated in the center of this shot below with the girls to her left.

An Army chaplain, a Major, then said a few final words.  She is on the left above.  While she was speaking, the 6 pallbearers marched down and took up their M-16s and took up positions in a firing line.  When the Chaplain finished, the squad leader barked “Ready!”, “Aim!”, “Pull” and seven shots rang out  Everyone, even me and I was anticipating it, jumped.  The commands went out 2 more times, for a total of 21 shots.  The seven soldiers then went to Present Arms.  When the shots died down, a lone bugler, a First Lieutenant, sounded Taps.  He was off on a slight hill to my left and out of site behind the canopy.  At that point everyone was crying.

When the last note died down, the 6 pallbearers quietly stacked their M-16s and marched back alongside the casket.  This next shot is of the pallbearers returning graveside.  Sergeant First Class Smirl is off to the right.

They then gently lifted the flag off the casket and smartly folded it.

The last soldier to take it of the six held the flag to his chest and slowly flattened it and tucked in the last corner.  He then turned to his right, rotated the flag so the long edge was forward and presented it to the First Lieutenant.  The Lieutenant saluted the flag, and took it.  The last pallbearer then saluted the flag.  The First Lieutenant than pivoted toward Kevin’s friend, SFC Smirl, the soldier in the full dress blue uniform who in turn saluted the flag and then took it.  The First Lieutenant then saluted the flag.  SFC Smirl then rotated the flag so the long edge was forward then marched to Lena and got down on one knee.

I could not hear the words, but they were “This flag is presented on behalf of a grateful nation and the United States Army as a token of appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service”.  The Brigadier General then paid the same tribute to Kevin’s mother.  Again everyone was crying.

At this point the funeral director then asked all the observers to return to their cars to allow the family a last minute of privacy.  I did and watched from a distance as Lena and the children approached the casket and laid a flower on it.

I then discreetly left.

It was a beautiful ceremony.  The Army is very good at burying their soldiers.  They have lots of practice. 

SFC Smirl, if you ever read this, thank you for your service to the United States and for your friendship to Kevin and his family.

I would like to share a few things written by Kevin:

Posted: 20 April 2007 at 7:21am

Hello from Hell!!!

I pray every chance I get. I have become more religious than ever before. I know some ppl don’t believe in the Lord, but that is their right.  I like the post a lot. Those very things that we are able to do is why ppl over here and around the world hate us. They are not used to it and they believe that we are giving a bad influence to the world.  How? I don’t know.  I will say this. I joined the military for my country and to serve the ppl of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!  When I die, I will know that I helped someone live a better and happier life.  JFK could not have said it better, "ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU, BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY!!!".

LET FREEDOM RING!!!!

GOD BLESS!!!

KEVIN

I received this PM after Memorial Day:

Sent: 31 May 2007 at 12:24pm

Hey,

If you have been keeping track of the news. On Memorial Day we lost six guys to IED's on one mission trying to get to a downed chopper.  We went down this road and when a Bradley that was 2 positions in front of me got hit. It was ugly. It tore the back ramp completely off and the TOW hatch on top was blown off as well. There was 5 ppl in the back and they were shredded. Then as we were recovering the bodies and the vehicle. These bastards blew another IED about 100m from us and killed another soldier. It was a nightmare. I have been taking pills for the nightmares and my anger. They say that if they cant control it with drugs they are going to send me to a hospital here and go see the mental health ppl.

Brother, these guys that died were young. I think the oldest was 24. I am so pissed at the Iraqis now. I am scared to go out because I might get into trouble for destroying some innocent person. The worst part about all this is that our chain of command don’t care. All they could say was keep the standard and discipline. That really pissed ppl off.

Some colonel or general has requested an investigation into this so I will have to write out a sworn statement on the events. I think they are wondering why we were sent down a road that was a Tier 1 hot spot for IED's. When another company air mobiled in and destroyed the aircraft.

I wish they would pull us out. Sorry for laying this on you bro but you know what I am talking about and how it hurts. 
Well talk to you later. Thanks for the ear.

Here is the last PM I received.  Sometimes Kevin would communicate through teamobc.com, but usually though email.  I think it depended on his connection speed.

Sent: 29 July 2007 at 10:22pm

Hey, I am still around. Been rough lately. We lost another guy on the 26th of July. We were heading to a village to do a medcap. Where we have doctors and stuff look at the civilians and give them medical treatment. On the way out our lead Brad hit an IED. It was a 130mm illumination round. The Brad stopped to check for more IEDs. They blew another IED right under him and it was an anti tank mine and had two other rounds in the hole that did not go off. The anit tank round bubble the bottom of the brad so bad that the drivers legs were cut off by the dash board. It took them about 15 minutes to evacuate him from the brad. He was still alive. We called in the med birds and he died from shock on the way to the hospital in Balad. His gunner and bradley commander are being checked over in Balad.

I don’t know how much more I can take bro. The guy that died was only 18 years old and only been in the army for 2.5 months. He had a 2 year old daughter also. I have so much rage against these ppl you wouldn’t believe it. We were heading out to do something good for them and we lose one of our own instead.

-- Previous Private Message --
Sent by : Hagar
Sent : July 22 2007 at 4:14pm

Are you still with us, Kevin?  I think about you a lot.  I watch videos on Iraq in liveleak.com to try to get an idea of what you are going through.  I wish you the best.  You are a braver man than me.
Anyway, be careful, you will be home soon to your family, God willing.

Cliff

It turned out not to be the case.  In a brief email dated June 6th, he told me he was not going to make it home but he seemed at peace.  When all communications from Kevin stopped after July 29th, I knew he was in trouble.  He was doing his duty.  Duty, Honor, Country.

Rest in Peace, Kevin.  You are in Heaven because you have already been to Hell.

OBC - I created a duplicate of this thread in the team section for our thoughts and comments.

Edited by Hagar - October 29 2007 at 2:21am
IP IP Logged
Morocco Mole
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Team Sommelier

Quote Morocco Mole Replybullet Posted: October 08 2007 at 5:30am

Excellent report Cliff.

Very poingnant.

We're not Brazil....We're Northern Ireland
IP IP Logged
Sith
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Sith Replybullet Posted: October 08 2007 at 7:30am

I'm glad you were there to represent us, I hope it gives his family comfort to know how well thought of Kevin is.

Thanks Cliff.

Only Now, At The End Do You Understand.
IP IP Logged
Phoenix
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Phoenix Replybullet Posted: October 08 2007 at 9:20am
Thank you Cliff  

R.I.P. Crazyhorse & Fubar You will Never be forgotten and forever in all our hearts
IP IP Logged
Merc
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote Merc Replybullet Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:38am
 Beautifully done Cliff!! Thank you

The mercenary cybernetic soldier with a case of CyberPsychosis!!! "DEATH TO THE FLESHYS"
IP IP Logged
steal
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote steal Replybullet Posted: October 08 2007 at 12:04pm
Thankyou very much.  I havent shed so many tears since I buried my mother on 11/21/03.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”—Malcolm S. Forbes.
IP IP Logged
*~* Shorty *~*
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member

Quote *~* Shorty *~* Replybullet Posted: October 08 2007 at 12:07pm
Very well written Hagar! 
IP IP Logged
Dantheman5187
*O.B.C*Team Member
*O.B.C*Team Member
Married to my best friend.

Quote Dantheman5187 Replybullet Posted: October 08 2007 at 4:12pm
I'm with Steal. I cried pretty hard.
*O.B.C.j*Dan_the_Man
IP IP Logged
Conan
*O.B.C* Team Member
*O.B.C* Team Member

Quote Conan Replybullet Posted: October 08 2007 at 10:48pm
Rest In Peace... My Friend.  
"The leftists cannot think for themselves...they have already given into the spirit of collectivism"
IP IP Logged
OverKill
Noob*
Noob*

Quote OverKill Replybullet Posted: October 09 2007 at 10:34pm
Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

IP IP Logged
HitMa
*Forum Stalker*
*Forum Stalker*

Quote HitMa Replybullet Posted: October 11 2007 at 9:25am
Nicely done Cliff
RIP Kevin Brown 25 SEP 07
IP IP Logged
Drag_0n
Groupie*
Groupie*